By Tom Winnifrith, The Sheriff of AIM | Saturday 17 December 2016
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from ShareProphets). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.
In order to see if the claimed technology of Cloudtag (CTAG) as part of its rebrand relaunch holds water I went to an expert. In terms of "the pitch" this is what he writes:
· A wearable device packed with features (“Features of the onitor track” section)
· That’s a lot of functionality for such a tiny device and the only visible user interface is a set of LEDs which aren’t a rich source of information
· So the clue is this : “Onitor is powered by Cloudtag technology” (scroll to the bottom of the page)
· The design principle is therefore that the onitor device sends information to the Cloudtag IPR (which is what a lot of the excitement on the bulletin boards has been about – talk of “algorithms”) which one assumes would either be cloud hosted or within an app
· If we skip to here we find this:
o “Search ‘Onitor Track’ on iTunes or Google Play Store and download the app. Make sure that Bluetooth is turned on in your device settings then open the app and follow the set up process prompts. Click ‘connect’ and your mobile or tablet will then sync automatically with your Onitor Track.”
· So theory confirmed, the onitor device communicates with an app installed on your phone by Bluetooth
· Furthermore … (Technical specifications section)
o Your exercise data is stored on a rolling 24 hour basis due to device memory restrictions at which point the guidance is to sync it to the app
o The onitor device syncs to the app every 4 seconds provided it’s connected
o The app syncs to the “cloud” provided it’s connected to the sensor and there’s an internet connection on the phone (“cloud” being a much used buzzword .. if I save
o this document to google drive I have data in the “cloud”)
· In summary, the device relies a lot on the Cloudtag app, the ”cloud” and your phone which isn’t that unusual however …
o “Get the App - Coming soon
§ Google Play”
· One would assume that to demonstrate all the cool features given the device is so “app-centric” you’d need an app? Perhaps that’s just case of unrealistic expectations …
· This feels a LONG way from a tangible product (device and app) and why should I wait?
· Just go to Argos instead and buy a released one.
Never miss a story.
This area of the ShareProphets.com site is for independent financial commentary. These blogs are provided by independent authors via a common carrier platform and do not represent the opinions of ShareProphets.com. ShareProphets.com does not monitor, approve, endorse or exert editorial control over these articles and does not therefore accept responsibility for or make any warranties in connection with or recommend that you or any third party rely on such information. The information available at ShareProphets.com is for your general information and use and is not intended to address your particular requirements. In particular, the information does not constitute any form of advice or recommendation by ShareProphets.com and is not intended to be relied upon by users in making (or refraining from making) any investment decisions.
Comments are turned off for this article.
Search ShareProphets |
Stock market news |
Recent Comments |