ShareProphets


The one stop source for breaking news, expert analysis, and podcasts on fast-moving AIM and LSE listed shares


Join ShareProphets at less than 2p per article

> All the big AIM fraud exposés

> 300 articles and podcasts a month

> Hot share tips

> Original investigations by our experienced team

> No ads, no click-bait, no auto-play videos

Find out more

Pacific Tycoon – An Open Letter to Media Owners: Please Boycott this POS

By Tom Winnifrith | Wednesday 28 January 2015


 


I am goaded into writing a letter to those responsible for the only financial websites that matter (ADVFN, iii, LSE and Motley Fool) asking them to follow our lead at ShareProphets and to publicly refuse to take any advertising from Pacific Tycoon because quite simply it is a scheme that will ensure readers lose money.

Pacific Tycoon promises bumper returns from renting out shipping containers in Asia. The returns it promises are amazing. And yet after rewarding investors it still spends vast sums on renting lists from financial websites to promote its scheme. The fact that it pays so much more than normal is a Red Flag in itself. And why does it market so aggressively if the returns are both that good and real?

It must be tempting for some media owners to take the cash. We have refused point blank to take its advertising because as I have written HERE, HERE and HERE we think it is a big con. And we do not want any part of it.

I note that on my personal website – www.TomWinnifrith.com – there is constant stream of posts under my PT exposes from apparently satisfied clients urging others to sign up. Surely they know that if PT is flooded with capital for expansion returns will fall? I somehow doubt that these are satisfied clients I am well aware of what is going on.

Pacific has in the past written to me asking me to withdraw my articles because they damage its internet reputation. As you might have guessed I told them to fuck off and so here is another article. The letter to the media owners that matter follows:

Dear Sirs

I am aware that Pacific Tycoon is offering very high payments to rent mailing lists from financial websites in the UK. This must be a tempting proposition. However I ask you to state publicly that you will not take this cash and perhaps to go one step further and explain on your websites to your readers why you are taking this decision.

I refer you to the following articles I have published on this company, HEREHERE and HERE.

It is not FCA Regulated and so there will be no compensation for your customers when it implodes.

I urge you to act responsibly and to publicly confirm that you will not take this advertising, a pledge we have always been happy to make on ethical grounds here at www.ShareProphets.com

Best wishes

 

Tom Winnifrith

 

 


Filed under:



This area of the ShareProphets.com site is for independent financial commentary. These blogs are provided by independent authors via a common carrier platform and do not represent the opinions of ShareProphets.com. ShareProphets.com does not monitor, approve, endorse or exert editorial control over these articles and does not therefore accept responsibility for or make any warranties in connection with or recommend that you or any third party rely on such information. The information available at ShareProphets.com is for your general information and use and is not intended to address your particular requirements. In particular, the information does not constitute any form of advice or recommendation by ShareProphets.com and is not intended to be relied upon by users in making (or refraining from making) any investment decisions.


Comments

3 comments

  1. No surprise that another business is created, with one sole purpose!!!

    Private investors are prey to some companies and awareness is the biggest form of defense you can arm yourself with.

    Bests

    Doc

  2. The following may apply also apply,

    https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/electronic-mail/

    A long read but possibly worth it. Naturally the ICO are part of the Chocolate Tea Set Brigade but they are known to write naughty grams to people who violate or possibly violate the relevant legislation under PECR. Only last week I received a ‘cold call’ from a local political party who got a bit ‘shirty’ and ‘you know nothing’ when I mentioned my number was on the TPS..

    https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/telephone-marketing/

    Yup… sorry lads. You were wrong. Complaint sent to

    casework at ico.org.uk

    Response..

    “I have now written to the organisation to inform them of their obligations under the PECR and to ask them to suppress your telephone number from their databases. We have asked they take this action immediately. This should take no longer than 28 days and should ensure that they do not call you again.”

    You might try the same in respect of the e-mails you mention in your article. Having said as much read through the details of,

    https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-pecr/electronic-mail/

    To see if a complaint might be reasonable and bear in mind that…

    Having joined your ‘illustrious’ website I note that not only do I receive marketing material from this particular site I also receive similar material from ADVFN. In this case I do not mind given there appears to be some correlation between what is being presented and I also know that you do have a relationship with ADVFN. Others might argue differently, especially if you want to push your point, and get their handbags out… Pot Kettle Black.

    One thing I will say is that if I did receive an e-mail out of the blue from someone like Pacific Tycoon I would be very likely to complain to the ICO in respect of them and whomever gifted/sold my e-mail address to them for such purposes. That view and reaction is likely to be based on my expectations of the content of such an e-mail. I have not been subjected to one so cannot comment.

    If you do complain to the ICO you may wish to give an example of such an e-mail and explain why you believe it is in violation of PECR but as I suggest bear in mind that you want to be certain that you, and ADVFN, are on solid ground in respect of your own policies and implementation thereof in respect of those e-mails I have received as a result of joining ShareProphets.

    HTH

  3. I dont know how you can describe LSE as a “website that matters” . Its run by morons , read by morons and therefore Pacific are only trying to emulate the age old share traders ditty :-

    “Fleece a moron a day …….. it helps you work rest and play”


Enter your comment below. Fields marked * are required. You must preview your comment first before finally posting.


Site by Everywhen